Mentally Gifted is defined as outstanding intellectual and creative ability development of which requires specially designed programs or support services, or both, not ordinarily provided in the regular education program. This term includes a person who has an IQ of 130 or higher and when multiple criteria as set forth in the Pennsylvania Department of Education Guidelines indicate gifted ability. Determination of gifted ability will not be based on IQ score alone. A person with an IQ score lower than 130 may be admitted to gifted programs when other educational criteria in the profile of the person strongly indicate gifted ability.
Multiple criteria indicating gifted ability include:
· A year or more above grade achievement level for the normal age group in one or more subjects as measured by nationally normed and validated achievement tests.
· An observed or measured rate of acquisition/retention of new academic content or skills that reflect gifted ability.
· Demonstrated achievement, performance or expertise in one or more academic areas as evidenced by excellence of products, portfolio or research, as well as criterion-referenced team judgment.
· Early and measured use of high level thinking skills, academic creativity, leadership skills, intense academic interest areas, communications skills, foreign language aptitude or technology expertise.
If you believe your child is in need of gifted services, please contact your child’s guidance counselor to request information about the gifted program. You may also contact Michelle Kozubal (K-5) or Carol Staines (6-12).
Grades K-5: Ms. Kozubal (Department Chair)
· Resource Room & Gifted Center
· 1.5 to 4.5 hours per week per student
Grades 6-8: Mrs. Goodman (Harrold), Mrs. McGill (Wendover) and Mrs. Blasko (West Hempfield)
· Resource Room, Pull-Out, and Curriculum Compaction
· 1 period per regular 10 day cycle (Pull-Outs)
· 1-2 periods per 6 day cycle offsetting the Social Studies curriculum
Grades 9-12: Mrs. Staines (Department Chair), Mr. Clark, Mr. Harden, Mrs. Bengel,and Mr. Westerlund